Do-It-Yourself Roofing: What Tools Do You Need?
Hiring roofers to do even simple repairs would still cost you a lot of money. Well, nothing is free nowadays. But still, some people who want to save money tend to do the repairs on their own. That is a good thing if the damage is simple, or if you know how to do the repairs. You can get proper instructions from the internet if you want, but you need to have enough tools to do repairs on your roofing. Speaking of which, here are some of the basic tools needed for do-it-yourself roofing, as well as their functions.
1. Ladder – this is one of the basic tools you will need. Of course you will not be able to reach the roof without one. You should avoid climbing up the roof with just chairs as you may end up in accidents. Use ladders because these are the proper tool that will help you ascend and descend safely.
2. Hammer – it is important to have a hammer in case you need to remove and replace nails. Most hammers today are magnetized to help pound nails accurately. Again, avoid using any other tool as a replacement for a hammer. You cannot use a pair of pliers to pull nails, so be sure to have the proper tools.
3. Tape measure – you will immediately need one to measure your roof or other important things. It is a handy tool so always bring one before going up the roof.
4. Bucket and Trowel – a bucket could be used as a container for cement. But since it is the roofing that you are going to fix and not the walls, a small bucket will do. A roofer’s bucket is usually made of a heavy duty plastic. On the other hand, I suggest you to bring a flat nose trowel because it can easily clean out the bottom part of the bucket.
5. Hand brush and dust pan – you will need one to clean up things before applying anything. It is inconvenient to apply cement or hammer nails in an untidy surface, right? A dustpan might be needed in case there are many dried leaves and other waste in the roof. You would not want to just throw it down the ground, of course.
6. Hand saw – you will need a hand saw – whether an electric or a basic saw, in cutting wood that had rotten due to the humid and wet climate.
Now, do you have these tools? If you do, then you are ready to do the repairs!